Pages

A Bit About Me

Thursday, March 19, 2015


I realize it might be a little difficult to find it in yourself to be able trust my reviews, tips/tricks, etc. if you barely know anything about where I'm coming from. With this in mind, I'm making this post as a way for you to "get to know me," at least in terms of ballet.

When I was just a little tyke, about 3 or 4 years old, my mum signed me up for ballet class, just like every other little girl out there. I can honestly say that I LOVED dancing, and I always enjoyed going to class. I attended Hawaii State Ballet, which is a famous ballet company in the heart of honolulu. I only danced for a little over a year since my beloved teacher decided to start a family and soon left. After trying another class at the company, I found that it wasn't the same, and I transferred to Ballet Hawaii, another well known ballet company since my friend danced there. I attended the studio for only a bit, for once again, it just wasn't the same. After that, my love for dance was no longer there and I decided to stop dancing.

Once I went to elementary school I began to dance hula for my school since they had a wonderful hula program. I loved the art, and I suppose you could say I've always been a dancer. Soon after transferring schools for middle and high school, I took up different sports. I've tried swimming, volleyball, and tennis, but I didn't fall in love with any of them. Then, towards the end of seventh grade my interest in ballet was suddenly rekindled and I joined a new ballet company whose name I prefer to remain nameless. Because I was in seventh grade, and hadn't danced for nearly a decade, I essentially knew NOTHING about ballet, so I was forced to start from the VERY beginning. I won't go into details, but with extreme dedication (dancing 5X a week) and a wonderful ballet teacher, I was able to make my way up the small company and begin pointe within a year. Now don't get me wrong, I am forever grateful to my teacher and her company for everything she has given me, from my very foundation, to all the incredible experiences I've had, but after a little over a year, it was time for me to take a break. Not only was my body experiencing difficulties, but as I was entering high school, I knew I needed to dedicate more of my time towards school. I was never a bad student, but I wanted to step up because I realized that ballet just simply was not my career path, and so my education would play a key role in which college I would be able to attend, and thus better assist me in my future. In fact, I'm still in high school and no matter how much guilt I still have for "abandoning" my old studio, I know in my heart that it was the right thing to do.

After a year break, I decided to start up at a new studio, which I attended for nearly a year, and though the teachers were pretty good, I wasn't as welcomed as I would have liked to been. Granted, there were some students that were really sweet to me, but I never felt as incorporated into the company as I had in previous companies. That said, I decided to, yes, move again. That's how I ended up at my current studio, Honolulu Classical Ballet, which I truly enjoy.

So that's essentially my story in a nutshell. I hoped you enjoyed getting to know a little bit about my history, and I would love to hear from you, whether it be about your own personal experience, or anything else.

Much love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment