Pages

Ballet Helpers

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Clear Nail Polish:

Although it may seem strange to include a small bottle of clear nail polish in your dance bag, it can sometimes become a savior. I always keep a small bottle in my pouch with my hair supplies because I never know when I will need it.




As you may have already guessed, I don’t use the polish to freshen up my nails. Instead, I use it to stop the furthering of rips in my tights. Clear nail polish is a little ballet trick that dancers use to prolong the life of tights. Anytime there’s a little run through your tights, simply apply a small dap of clear polish along the edge and let it dry. It stops the run and is virtually invisible.

Theraband:

Purchased from Discount Dance Supply
(Theraband brand: www.bunheads.com)



            A theraband is a common tool not only used in ballet, but in other sports and activities as well. In ballet, it is used to strengthen your toes.
           
            Simply place one foot in the center of the band and hold the ends tightly with your hands. Slowly exaggerate the movement of your foot as you point and flex your foot.

            Therabands come in various resistances. Beginners begin with a softer band, and as your feet and toes get stronger, you can use a band with much more resistance.

“Trash bag” pants:


Purchased from Discount Dance Supply
Body Wrappers 
(small is quite tall)


            I like to call these pants “trash bag pants” for a reason; they remind me of trash bags. These thin pants are great for warming up your legs and keeping the muscle limber in-between classes or rehearsal.
           
            These pants are super thin, lightweight, and can easily be condensed, which makes them a perfect item to carry in a dance bag. They’re not the most glamorous garments, but they’re not bad either, and they’re a great buy.
           
            Most people roll down the waistband, and you can also pull up the bottom so they’re “cropped,” but I just do the waistband. “Trash bag pants” are also pretty popular at studios, so chances are you will run into a few other people sporting them.

Leg Warmers:


            Like “trash bag pants,” leg warmers are another great buy. Most have a hole at the bottom where your heel can go through as you wear them at barre for warm-up, so they don’t interfere with your footwork. There are many different types of leg warmers, and they come in various different colors.
            I like ones that are long, so I can pull them up to my thighs if I need them, or scrunch them down my calves as I warm up. Either way, they’re great.

            Leg warmers aren’t as popular as “trash bag pants,” but I love them nonetheless.

Turn board: 

Purchased from Discount Dance Supply
Brand: TurnBoard
(balletisfun.com)

           Let’s face it, pirouettes (turns) are hard. I’ve always struggled with pirouettes, and they are a constant battle, so when I heard about the turn board I ordered one right away. The turn board is used to help stimulate the feeling of a pirouette without making you go on demi pointe (the ball of your foot)


            Nearly all the reviews I had read said that it helped improve pirouettes, but unfortunately, it didn’t really help me. I was most likely misusing it by distributing too much of my weight backwards. But just because the turn board hasn’t worked for me, doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. A lot of people love this apparatus, so it’s up to you if you want to give it a try. I must warn you though, as fun as it is, there is a level of danger, for it’s easy to fall. Just be careful and have fun. 

*I have not been paid/asked to review or promote any products listed. All items were bought on my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment