Pages

How To: Ballet Buns

Monday, March 23, 2015


When I was a mere 3-4 years old, my mother of course made my ballet bun. But in seventh grade, I figured I was old enough to do it myself. Through trial and error, I’ve found the best method to creating a secure bun and I figured it would be a great little helper for you (shall you need to make one and don’t know how.)

The materials I use are listed below:

Hair net: There are various different hairnets. Some are super thin, and others are really thick. Some are meant to look natural and nearly blend in, and others are meant to stand out or be a bit more fancy. Either one is great, but I prefer the natural looking thin nets, for I find them able to hold all the hairs that stick out of my bun better. Because they are so thin, they can rip easily if you’re not careful, but each one can last quite a while even with a large hole in it.


(My favorite)

(The "fancy" net)

Two hair ties
Regular bobby pins



Large open bobby pins



Hair clips


*Gel/hairspray/mousse is optional


  1.  Tie up hair into ponytail
  2. Use the hair clips to pull back any bangs, baby hair, or flyaways
  3. Slightly twist the ponytail as you move it into a bun shape
  4.  Secure with second hair tie
  5.  Pull hair net over: (Some hairnets are meant to go straight on and be secured with bobby pins right away. Others are meant to be twisted and folded over again until it’s secure.)
  6. Use the large open bobby pins to secure the bun. (I like to use four for the top, bottom, and sides of the bun)
  7.  Go in and secure the other areas of the bun with the small bobby pins until everything feels secure.


*When inserting bobby pins, enter it facing outwards (away from your head) then “flip” it so it faces towards your head and push the pin all the way in.

If you want, you can add gel/hairspray/mousse when you tie your hair up into a ponytail, and to finish off and secure any flyaways. I don’t tend to use any unless there’s a performance, but some people like an extra sleek look.

I hope this helps, and good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment